Sunday 2 March 2008

DBA Classic Indian vs Alexander Macedonian

Back to basics now & a nice little scrap with a very unexpected outcome.
We had watched the totally dreadful Alexander (Well I had, Jack had given up
& got bored). I ended up just marking where the battles scenes had been &
we watched them back together. Film story = pants, Film battle scenes = great.

So here we go the Macedonians vs Indians, we had no Jungle terrain so we played
with a flat plain & simple terrain.

II/3 Classical Indian(500BC-545AD)
1xEl(Gen), 2xEl, 2xLCH, 2x3Cv, 1x2Ps, 4x3Lb

II/12 Alexandrian Macedonian (355-320BC)
1x3Kn(Gen), 1x3Cv, 1x2Lh, 1x4Ax, 6x4Pk, 1x2Ps, 1x4Ax

My plan was simple destroy the Macedonian Cavalry with my Elephants, Light Chariots & Cavalry. Avoid the Pike at all costs. I set up with two areas of rough dominating the middle. "Great" I thought, Jack would have to send his Pike down the flank.

'Alexander Jack' to the Left & the Indians the right


The Macedonians, Cavalry on one side & ALL of his Pike on the other.
Light troops in the middle, they didn't concern me (my BIG mistake...)


My right flank was where I'd win it. I placed an Elephant led force on the other just in case.


My Right flank, after Jacks setup I'd have more elements there than him.


The Mighty Macedonian Pike, Jack kept them all together.


Jacks Auxillia & Psiloi rush off to dominate the middle of the board.


Advantage to the Indians on my Right.


The Battle unfolds - his Pike are gonna take a long time to reach my lines...


The plan is working, I'll crush his cavalry


View from Jacks side


Screaming Indians plough down on Alexander


Alexander(that Tough we put him on base by himself..), Cavalry(Xyston) & Light Horse


Jack senses the danger & puts an Auxillia out to support his Cavalry


Clash of Horse


It's looking good for the Indians & I force back the Macedonian Horsemen


That PESKY Auxillia is making life hard, I can't manoeuvre my troops - AArrrgghh!


Jack takes out a Indian Bowmen & a Psiloi in the centre.
He even has the cheek to attack my Elephant General with a Psiloi !!!!


I manage to take down the Macedonian Cavalry but it's a bottleneck


O.. O.. OOOO... Jacks sneaks in with an attack on my Camp & ousts the defenders.
"That's 4 to 1, I win, I think" utters Jack..........


Disappointing, my grand plan in tatters.


Final view from above, totally underestimated the light troops.
Jacks Phalanx haven't even engaged!!!


Well there you go, the power of Psiloi & Auxillia.
Definitely not involved in the initial plan but they won the game for Jack.
Shows that you don't just need the Big boyz to win Battles.

4 comments:

Dalauppror said...

Nice ARR. Inspiring. Maybe it is time to start painting my macedonians...
Best regards Dalauppror
www.metrobloggen.se/dalauppror

MrF said...

Cheers Mate! The Macedonians started out as a Kassandros Successor, that we got from ebay. Easy to morph we have just kept adding elements to it. Though I'm finding less time just to 'tidy' up the small details.

All the Best
MrF

Anonymous said...

Nice report! Alex vs. the Indians are always great battles, usually very bloody for me.

-Mike

MrF said...

Cheers! We like the Indians a lot, very colourful & some nice options.

All the Best
MrF